Who Will Handle Your Law Practice If You Can’t?

No one likes to think about it, but sole practitioners should take some time to plan for what will happen in the event of their death or disability. Do you have a plan for who will handle your practice if the need arises? Your death or disability could leave your family members to deal with many tricky issues around your practice, including what happens to client files and funds on deposit in a trust account. These problems can be avoided easily by nominating another attorney to act as your practice administrator. The only requirement for a practice administrator is that he or she be an active member of the State Bar of California and appointed by the probate court on petition by the member’s conservator, personal representative, or trustee. See Prob C §2468 (attorney with disability under conservatorship), §9764 (deceased attorney’s estate subject to administration), §17200(b)(22)–(23) (deceased or disabled attorney’s…

Read more detail on Recent Real Estate and Property Law posts –

This entry was posted in Real Estate & Property Law and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply