Taxes From A To Z (2018): S Is For Surviving Spouse

Shutterstock It’s my annual “Taxes from A to Z” series! If you’re wondering whether you can claim home office expenses or whether to deduct a capital loss, you won’t want to miss a single letter. S is for Surviving Spouse ‘Tis impossible to be sure of any thing but Death and Taxes. That’s never more true than at tax time. Unfortunately, dying doesn’t result in a pass on filing taxes. By law, you must file a final return for a decedent (a person who died) if he or she meets the filing requirements as of the date of death. The bigger question, however, tends to be, “What do I do if I’m the surviving spouse?” Here’s what you need to know: If your spouse died during the year, you are considered married for the whole year and can choose to married filing jointly as your filing status. If your spouse died during the year and you file a joint return, you generally can claim your spouse’s…

Read more detail on Recent Tax Law posts –

This entry was posted in Tax Law and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply