Power of Attorney For Children in College

You may still see your 18-year-old son or daughter as a child, but the law considers them an adult. This means that you could lose some of your rights as a parent, such as the right to access their medical information. For children heading off to college, or any other kid that’s turned 18, estate planning documents can help in these situations. Without these documents, you may not be able to help or receive information about your child if an accident or illness renders them incapacitated. Medical Power of Attorney Medical professionals are often cautious about discussing protected information with people other than the patient, even when they are family members. Make their decision easier by having your adult child complete a medical power of attorney. You can be named the healthcare agent who can make medical decisions on your child’s behalf if they are unable to communicate their wishes. HIPAA Authorization A medical power of attorney may be enough to get a doctor…

Read more detail on Recent Estate Planning posts –

This entry was posted in Estate Planning and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply