The Chicago Bar Association asked me to record a podcast on the most effective marketing initiatives for solos and small law firms. The recording is online at http://www.chicagobar.org/podcasts/ Its the second item: 08/24/2007 – YLS – Most Effective Marketing Techniques.
- Spend 2.5% of gross revenue on marketing.
- Put video on your website. It appeals to 30% of the US public, which has always had the Internet as part of their lives.
- If you cant measure your marketing initiative, dont do it. Be skeptical of advertising and public relations. Instead write blogs, websites, online banner ads, email newsletters
- Focus on getting new files from current clients.
- Cultivate referral sources. Start with clients, then pursue investment brokers, accountants, bankers, law school classmates and other sources.
- Get on the board of directors of a trade association. Get active and be visible.
- Pursue "targets," or business executives whom you already know.
- Write down your business plan — whom youre going to call, when youre going to meet them and the outcome you desire. Its inchoate until you write it down.
- Spend 400 hours a year on business development — four hours per week.
- Track your results. Its better than radio ads, which dont produce any results.
Read more detail on Legal News Directory – Legal Marketing