Elective share of surviving spouse in New Jers

Elective share of surviving spouse in New Jersey   What is my share of my spouse's estate if I elect to take against the will of my deceased spouse?        In general, a surviving spouse dissatisfied with his or her share under the Will of the deceased spouse may renounce the will and elect to take his or her statutory share of the testator’s entire estate. The surviving spouse is entitled to one-third of the estate provided that at the time of death, the surviving spouse and decedent had not been living separate and apart in different habitations. Generally, the surviving spouse must elect to take his/her elective share by filing a complaint within six months after the appointment of a personal representative of the decedent's estate.        Whether to elect to take against a Will is a decision that cannot be made without comprehensive information regarding the…

Read more detail on Recent Estate Planning posts –

This entry was posted in Estate Planning and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply