Does Losing A Job Change Child Support?

Following divorce, child support often becomes one of your biggest ongoing expenses. The courts base the amount on a formula that accounts for many factors. One of the key components is your income. But what happens when you lose your job and have no income? Can you go back to court and get them to lower your obligation? Like with most court orders, once they’re set, child support is difficult to modify. You have to demonstrate a significant change in circumstances, and even then, judges are still reluctant to alter them. It is possible, but as our founding partner, Rick Jones, recently explained on the Danny Bonaduce and Sarah Morning Show, it’s an uphill battle. A listener found himself in just this predicament and called in to see if there’s hope for him and his case. Listen to the call below: Caller: “I just recently got divorced and in the process also lost my job. I was wondering on how I could go about getting a child support…

Read more detail on Recent Family Law posts –

This entry was posted in Divorce Law and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply