Advice on accident at work claims

Two of the most common accident-related claims that people make, and often need to know information about, are traffic accidents and accidents which occur at work. Accident claims can also be referred to as personal injury claims. Do remember that if you are making a claim for physical injury, you may also be able to make a claim for damaged property if this was a related result of the accident.

Traffic Accidents

Although many people attempt to find out information on what to do several days after they have had an accident, fewer actually know/search for information on what to do immediately after the accident has occurred. The first step is to obtain as much information as you can about the other driver involved. This should include their full name, their phone number, their address, their insurance information, the make and model of their car, and as much information from the scene of the accident as you can. It is also worth noting down any statements they make to you, particularly if they are assuming responsibility for the accident.

If you are not injured, take photos of the accident and surrounding location, and make sure you note down the details of any witnesses that saw the accident unfold. Make sure you also keep a record of any police officers that deal with the accident, and tell both them and the other driver the injuries you have suffered.

The reason it is important to note down as much information as you can at the time of the accident is that it will bolster your legal claim afterwards if you have as much detail and evidence as possible.

Ensure that you notify the police within 24 hours of the accident happening. Additionally, make sure you notify your insurance company of the accident as soon as possible. Failure to inform them within a reasonable time may mean they refuse you insurance.

Although the amount of compensation you receive will vary from case-to-case, should you pursue a claim, there are general guidelines for the type of injury suffered. For example, mild whiplash can receive up to £4575, whilst hip or pelvis injuries could receive up to £76350 in compensation.

Accidents at Work

These types of accidents cover a wide variety of situations. Accidents could involve handling machinery, falling off ladders, driving company vehicles, or even occur in office environment. Every employer has a certain degree of responsibility to ensure its employees are safe at work. If you have had an accident at work that was due to your employer’s lack of sufficient health and safety regulations, you may be entitled to compensation. Any injury that occurs at work, even if it is a minor injury, needs to be documented in the employer’s “accident book”. All employers are required to keep and maintain this book.

Asbestos related injuries can receive, as a general guideline, up to £74300. Please note the figures used in this article are only guidelines.

How Do I Know if I have a Claim?

If you are unsure about whether you have a personal injury claim or a claim for property damage, your next step could be seeking impartial advice from your local Citizens Advice Bureau. They will be able to weigh up the facts of your case and tell you if you have a potential claim. They will also be able to tell you whether you need to seek legal advice. They have the details of solicitors who specialise in accident claims and so will be able to recommend trustworthy solicitors should you decide you need legal advice/representation.

Please note that you have a maximum of 3 years from the date of the accident to pursue your claim. Although this is the maximum, it is advisable to pursue your claim without delay.

Solicitors Dealing with Accident Claims

Many solicitors now offer to work on a “no win no fee” basis. This often means you receive 100% of your compensation. It is advisable to read the small print of any agreement you make with your legal representation, as it may state that they require money upfront. Some solicitors do not charge you a fee at all, instead seeking payment from the other person’s insurance company.

If you have suffered a personal injury, Lloyd Green are specialist no win no fee personal injury solicitors who can help.

online casino spill

This entry was posted in Administrative law. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply