The Lawfare Podcast: Should Humans Communicate With Aliens?
For years, Shane Harris of the Washington Post has been fascinated with the search for extraterrestrial life in the universe. But that search raises a profound question: Should we try to communicate with aliens? Is there a risk to alerting a potentially hostile species to our presence? On July 12, Shane moderated a conversation hosted by Future Tense with Lucianne Walkowicz, the chair of astrobiology at the Library of Congress, and NASA astrophysicist Elisa Quintana, to talk about the ethics of the search for ETs and the associated risks with trying to make contact.
Read more detail on Recent International Law posts –
- The Lawfare Podcast: Molly Reynolds and Margaret Taylor on National Security and the 116th Congress It's a new year with a new Congress, and the Democrats now control the House of Representatives. But how will that change affect the state of play for national security legal issues? […]
- The Lawfare Podcast: The Challenges of Digital Evidence Encryption usually takes center stage in debates over digital evidence, and the sensitivities around the issue often halt discussions before reaching practical solutions. But on July 25, […]
- The Lawfare Podcast, Special Edition: Not Firing Bob Mueller The New York Times Thursday evening is reporting that back in June, President Trump tried to fire Special Counsel Robert Mueller—but couldn't quite pull it off. We, however, pulled […]
- The Lawfare Podcast: Special Edition: Mueller Indicts Russian Trolls On Friday, Special Counsel Robert Mueller indicted thirteen Russian nationals and three Russian entities involved in efforts to interfere in the U.S. political system, including the 2016 […]
- The Lawfare Podcast: Special Edition: Buzzfeed Follows Peter Smith’s Money There’s a new twist in one of the stranger subplots of L’Affaire Russe: Buzzfeed News reports that Peter Smith, a Republican operative who reportedly sought to obtain missing Hillary […]
- The Lawfare Podcast: Ambassador David O'Sullivan on the US-EU Relationship It's easy to spend all our time focusing on American domestic politics these days, but the rest of the world is not going away. Take the European Union, for example—our neighbors from […]
- The Lawfare Podcast: Culper Partners Rule of Law Series: Eric Holder In this second episode of the special Culper Partners Rule of Law Series, David Kris and Nates Jones, the founders of the Culper Partners consulting firm, speak with Eric Holder, […]
- The Lawfare Podcast: John Judis on 'The Nationalist Revival' Political trends in recent years have seen a rise of right-leaning nationalism and populism around the globe, including in the United States. What are the sources of nationalism, and what […]
- The Lawfare Podcast: Special Edition: Paul Manafort ‘Breaks’ On Friday, former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort entered a plea agreement with the special counsel. To discuss what the news means for Manafort, the Mueller investigation, and […]
- The Lawfare Podcast: Jared Cohen on 'Accidental Presidents' Jared Cohen is the founder and CEO of Jigsaw and Alphabet Inc., who previously ran Google Ideas and served as a member of the Secretary of State's policy planning staff and as an […]