The Lawfare Podcast: John Judis on 'The Nationalist Revival'
Political trends in recent years have seen a rise of right-leaning nationalism and populism around the globe, including in the United States. What are the sources of nationalism, and what are its effects on modern politics? On this episode, Lawfare founding editor and Harvard law professor Jack Goldsmith sits down with John Judis, editor-at-large at Talking Points Memo and author of "The Nationalist Revival." They discussed Judis’s book, including the necessity of nationalism in developed democracies, why right-wing nationalist and populist movements seem to be winning out over those on the left, and how Donald Trump successfully raised the profile of nationalist politics in the United States.
Read more detail on Recent International Law posts –
- The Lawfare Podcast: John Sipher on Human Sources in Moscow The New York Times reports that CIA human sources in Moscow are drying up: “vital Kremlin informants have largely gone silent, leaving the C.I.A. and other spy agencies in the dark about […]
- The Lawfare Podcast: John Brennan and Jerrold Nadler on 20 Months Under Trump The challenges that President Donald Trump has posed to the rule of law are well documented, from his delegitimization of the law enforcement investigation into his campaign and conduct in […]
- The Lawfare Podcast: Special Edition: The FBI’s Counterintelligence Investigation of Donald Trump Benjamin Wittes talks to Carrie Cordero, Chuck Rosenberg, David Kris, Jack Goldsmith and Susan Hennessey about the New York Times's report that the FBI opened a counterintelligence […]
- The Lawfare Podcast, Special Edition: Not Firing Bob Mueller The New York Times Thursday evening is reporting that back in June, President Trump tried to fire Special Counsel Robert Mueller—but couldn't quite pull it off. We, however, pulled […]
- The Lawfare Podcast: Special Edition: Mueller Indicts Russian Trolls On Friday, Special Counsel Robert Mueller indicted thirteen Russian nationals and three Russian entities involved in efforts to interfere in the U.S. political system, including the 2016 […]
- The Lawfare Podcast: Culper Partners Rule of Law Series: Eric Holder In this second episode of the special Culper Partners Rule of Law Series, David Kris and Nates Jones, the founders of the Culper Partners consulting firm, speak with Eric Holder, […]
- The Lawfare Podcast: Ambassador David O'Sullivan on the US-EU Relationship It's easy to spend all our time focusing on American domestic politics these days, but the rest of the world is not going away. Take the European Union, for example—our neighbors from […]
- The Lawfare Podcast: Brad Moss on Presidential Power and Security Clearances The President of the United States this week stripped the former CIA Director John Brennan of his security clearance in a dramatic White House statement by Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee […]
- The Lawfare Podcast: Culper Partners Rule of Law Series: Jamie Gorelick In this sixth episode of the special Culper Partners Rule of Law Series, David Kris and Nate Jones speak with former Deputy Attorney General Jamie Gorelick. Jamie has had a career spanning […]
- The Lawfare Podcast: Through the Looking Glass with Mike Doran, Part I A few days ago, I tweeted at my old friend and colleague Mike Doran that he should come to my office and record a long conversation about Trump, Russia, and how he parted ways with his […]