Preventing Student Suicide: The Anatomy of a Lawsuit
On September 12, 2015, Luke Tang, a sophomore at Harvard College committed suicide in the basement of his dormitory, Lowell House. HBMHlaw has been retained by the Estate of Luke Tang to pursue a wrongful death action against the President and Fellows of Harvard College and individuals alleged to be responsible for Luke’s death. Given the Supreme Judicial Court’s recent ruling in Nguyen v. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 479 Mass. 436 (2018), (another case handled by HBMHlaw), the attorneys at HBMHlaw believe the evidence will show that Harvard and its employees failed to take reasonable and appropriate steps to prevent this tragedy. In the Nguyen decision, the SJC held that where a university or its employees have actual knowledge of a student’s prior suicide attempt while enrolled at the college, the college and employees have a special relationship with the student and a corresponding duty to take reasonable measures to protect the student from…
Read more detail on Recent Injury and Accident Law posts –
- Bullied Altoona Area School District Student Commits Suicide, Family Files Lawsuit A federal lawsuit was filed earlier this week by Marc Lansberry, the father of “Wyatt J. Lansberry, a 12-year-old seventh-grader, who took his own life on May 18 after experiencing a […]
- Lawsuit to recover damages for wrongful death of a student dismissed Lawsuit to recover damages for wrongful death of a student dismissedJuerss v Millbrook Cent. Sch. Dist., 2018 NY Slip Op 03518, Appellate Division, Second DepartmentA student suspended […]
- Widow Maintains GSK Liable for Suicide in Paxil Lawsuit Appeal Share This Item March 1, 2018 – Chicago, Illinois — The widow of a Chicago lawyer who took his own life while taking a generic version of Paxil (paroxetine), a […]
- Lawsuit: Teenager Tried to Commit Suicide Over Stalking, but Plymouth-Canton Schools Blamed Her Instead When a 17-year old's abusive ex-boyfriend drove her to attempt suicide, her mother complained to Plymouth-Canton school administrators and resource officers. They told her that […]
- Anatomy of a Commercial Real Estate Transaction for California Real Estate Investors Author: Staff When it comes to choosing an investment property in California, real estate investors have a vast array of options. They can purchase a single-family dwelling and rent it to […]
- The anatomy of a civil rights action involving allegations of failure to accommodate a disability, unlawful discrimination, a hostile work environment, and retaliation In this civil rights action a former employee [Plaintiff] sued her former employer [Defendant] alleging the Defendant failed to provide a workplace accommodate in consideration of her […]
- ER intervention may be a key way to avert patients’ repeat suicide attempts As the nation deals with record numbers of suicides, hospital emergency rooms, with a relatively simple intervention and diligent follow-up, may be able to reduce by half the high risk […]
- Anatomy of an ICO A growing number of companies are turning to initial coin offerings—called ICOs—as an innovative way to raise capital. But do people really know what are they and how they work? Please […]
- The Anatomy of a Private Placement Memorandum Top UpCounsel attorney Audrey Kravets explains what your PPM should include, who should be able to access it and how it should be organized.
Read more detail on Recent Immigration Law […]
- The Anatomy of a Good Asset Purchase Agreement Top UpCounsel attorney Lara Lavi walks you through all the most important parts of an asset purchase agreement.
Read more detail on Recent Immigration Law posts -