Federal Court: U-Iowa Discriminated Against Christian Student Groups
On Wednesday, a federal court ruled that the University of Iowa had illegally targeted religious groups for requiring their leaders to follow their faith. As such, Business Leaders in Christ (BLC), a Christian student group on the University of Iowa’s campus, secured a permanent place on campus. At the hearing February 1, it was clear the university had not only kicked BLC off campus because of their expression of faith, but had targeted and blacklisted 31 other student groups— only religious ones. The court ruled that the university must stop its unequal treatment of religious student organizations in the name of “anti-discrimination.” via thefederalist.com Great wrestlers though.
Read more detail on Recent Legal Theory posts –
- Federal judge allows environmental groups’ lawsuit against ExxonMobil [JURIST] A federal judge on Tuesday permitted two environmental groups to sue a Texas refinery owned by ExxonMobil Corp. [corporate website] for failing to enforce federal environmental […]
- [Eugene Volokh] Walmart Illegally Discriminated Against 18-to-20-Year-Old Gun Buyer, Oregon Antidiscrimination Agency Alleges Oregon is one of a handful states that bans age discrimination against 18-to-20-year-olds by places of public accommodation.The official charge was filed last week by the Oregon Bureau of […]
- Leveraging The Power of Student Groups For podium immprofs, covering everything of interest in the basic Immigration Law course can be a challenge. It's a struggle to find the right balance between depth and breadth. […]
- RECENT FEDERAL APPELLATE COURT RULING ASSISTS FLORIDA EMPLOYERS IN THEIR DEFENSE AGAINST EMPLOYMENT DISCRIMINATION LAWSUITS A recent decision from the federal appellate court that decides the legal standards for employment discrimination claims in Florida federal courts made it much easier for employers to […]
- THEY HAVE LEARNED NOTHING AND FORGOTTEN NOTHING. J. Christian Adams on Kavanaugh 2.0: Smears Against… THEY HAVE LEARNED NOTHING AND FORGOTTEN NOTHING. J. Christian Adams on Kavanaugh 2.0: Smears Against Court Nominee Tom Farr.
Read more detail on Recent Law Professor posts -
- [Ilya Somin] Federal Appellate Court Rules Against Trump Administration on Most Issues in California “Sanctuary State” Case Flag of California.Earlier today, the US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit ruled against the Trump Administration on nearly all the disputed issues in the California "sanctuary […]
- [Ilya Somin] Federal Court Rules Against Trump Administration on Most Issues in California "Sanctuary State" Case In a decision issued earlier today, Federal District Judge John Mendez ruled against the Trump administration on most, but not all, of the issues at stake in the federal government's […]
- But Wait, There’s More! . . . Litigation: Federal Court Sustains Lanham Act Claims Against Allegedly False “As Seen On TV” Advertising Many retailers carry products with the phrase “As Seen on TV.” What if a product bearing that phrase, however, had not actually been seen on TV? A recent case in federal court in the […]
- Federal Court Tosses False Advertising Suit Against Trader Joe’s Alkaline Water A California federal court granted Trader Joe’s motion to dismiss a false advertising lawsuit with regards to Trader Joe’s alkaline water, finding that all but one of plaintiff’s claims […]
- Federal Court Issues Preliminary Injunction Against Oklahoma Anti-Shariah Amendments Yesterday an Oklahoma federal district court issued a preliminary injunction barring the Oklahoma State Board of Elections from certifying the election results for State Question 755-- the […]