Circumambulating the Tomb of a Spiritual Teacher or (above) the Head of a Sufi Saint
“Now that the hajj has commenced in Mecca, I thought it might be of some interest to share something I learned when writing biographies of Sufis from various orders (ṭarīqah[s]) for The Biographical Encyclopedia of Islamic Philosophy, Oliver Leaman, ed. (London: Bloomsbury Academic, 2015; first published as two volumes by Thoemmes Continuum in 2006). I’ve taken the relevant paragraph from the full biography which follows below. It shows how one Sufi understood this particular Islamic obligation. I invite you to read the entire biography as Abu Sa`id is a rather colorful and eccentric Sufi mystic, at least as gleaned from the evidence we have of his life and spiritual practices. Oliver Leaman, our esteemed editor, explains the reasons for including Sufis in the introduction, which includes the fact that philosophy is translated as both falsafa (with Greek connotations, especially the Peripatetic tradition) and hikma or “wisdom” (there is also…
Read more detail on Recent Legal Theory posts –
- sex trafficking, How God prepared former Dodgers GM to fight sex trafficking: It’s spiritual warfare Former Los Angeles Dodgers general manager and vice president Kevin Malone is a passionate man. It may well have been his passion that led to a confrontation with a fan in San Diego in […]
- #METOO WINS HOLLYWOOD? Video Game Movies Tomb Raider and Ready Player One Are Sexually Tame…. #METOO WINS HOLLYWOOD? Video Game Movies Tomb Raider and Ready Player One Are Sexually Tame.
Read more detail on Recent Law Professor posts -
- Alito Weighs In Late On Buddhist Inmate's Request For His Spiritual Adviser At His Execution As previously reported, late on March 28, the U.S. Supreme Court In Murphy v. Collier ruled in favor of Buddhist prisoner Patrick Murphy who wanted his Buddhist spiritual adviser to be […]
- Supreme Court Says Inmate Is Entitled To His Spiritual Adviser In Execution Chamber Late last night, the U.S. Supreme Court, by a 7-2 vote, ruled in favor of Buddhist prisoner Patrick Murphy who wanted his Buddhist spiritual adviser to be present in the execution chamber […]
- Saint Paul Green With Envy When the Saint Paul City Council votes this Wednesday on Ordinance 17-60 it should amend the legislation to not delete, from the existing law, Green Globes as one of the approved green […]
- Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe v. Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc. (Fed. Cir. 2018) Federal Circuit Rejects Use of Tribal Immunity to Shield Patents in IPR Proceedings By Kevin E. Noonan -- The Federal Circuit issued its opinion on Friday in St. Regis Mohawk Tribe v. […]
- Happy Saint Patrick’s Day! Best wishes to all on Saint Patrick’s Day!
Read more detail on Legal News Directory - Estate Planning
- Special Ed Teacher Suspected of Theft and Resale of School iPads An elementary school special education teacher has been accused of stealing iPads that belong to the school district and reselling them for profit. Her boyfriend is also a suspect in the […]
- Farm Fresh Direct by a Cut Above, LLC v. Downey (Maryland U.S.D.C.) Farm Fresh Direct by a Cut Above, LLC v. Downey (Maryland U.S.D.C.)Filed: October 26, 2017Opinion by: Judge Ellen Lipton HollanderHolding: Under Maryland law, the liability protections […]
- Washington Divorce Rates Slightly Above the National Average. Last month, the U.S. Census Bureau released Marital Events of Americans: 2009, which takes a look at marriage, divorce and widowhood in all 50 states. According to the report, the average […]